International school in Germany – invasion in the unknown
Have you been living in Germany for long? Is it so long that you have very less memories of the place where you used to live? There may be no path of return for you, but what happens of your children? Moreover, what happens of their education? Where can you send them to study? Do you want your child to be a scientist or perhaps a doctor? Then you have got to find a good school amongst the umbrella of German international schools for the kid.
Well, you can put your stressed out grey cells to rest, because the government of Germany has it all covered. Check out the international schools of Germany and grace yourself with great facilities and infrastructure. Also, secure a bright and prosperous future for your child by sending him/her at the international schools of Germany.
For now, let us see the international schooling system of Germany.
The international schools of Germany have great dedication to the advanced quality of education. Furthermore, expats prefer international schools to general public schools. It is to make sure that their kids get proper training and education while staying abroad.
Why you should choose international schooling in Germany?
- German international schools can be a good choice for children who just began their previous school. By this, they can study with a standard educational module in their known language. And, it is a suitable method for more established kids who study difficult and advanced subjects.
- International schools can be a great option for expats who move a lot all over the globe. The international schools follow a curriculum that is similar over the world. Moreover, a known syllabus allows smooth progress or transition. It covers the gap between the last attended school in the previous nation to the international school in Germany.
- Along with, a student at the international school in Germany gets many lucrative opportunities. They can connect with and make friends with students who come from different societies, nationalities, and
- The process of admission of the students differs from one school to another. However, it is ideal for applying early to avoid the trouble of long waiting lists. The student may, in any case, get the chance of admission in mid-year. It is because the number of students that go to international schools is not constant.
A few good reasons for enrolling a child in an international school
There are many good reasons to join your kids at an international school.
- Most importantly, the students can get and develop a strong language aptitude naturally and rapidly (1). Additionally, they will get many chances and opportunities to collaborate with students from across the globe.
- Secondly, the students gain from regular instructive events. They not only learn core subjects like science and mathematics but can also take additional activities. It includes extra-curricular activities, practicing sports, and developing IT abilities. Besides, German international schools give cutting edge facilities. They have a design for making the studies simple for the students.
- Thirdly, the international schools of Germany follow a traditional educational program. For example, it begins from the primary years and proceeds to secondary training and education.
- The leading associations in North America and Europe authorise the educational program. It means that the students can easily transfer from their school to the ones in other nations. They can be Great Britain, the UnitedStates, and other parts of Germany. Subsequently, it saves their skills, knowledge, and credits from getting affected.
International schools have in itself way more than regular German schools. They resemble learning networks where the students are encouraged, inspired, and urged. However, it is to gain potential and success in the competitive world.
Educational fee varies from one international school to another. But it is usually similar to that in the United States. Besides, it is higher for secondary school and high school courses. Notwithstanding study expenses, parents will also need to fund for the additional school events and functions. For instance, they include class trips, school transportation, meals, and so on.
Diplomas and examinations at the international schools in Germany
Many common German schools offer at least one of the International Baccalaureate (IB) education programs. They include Initial Years, Intermediate Years, Career-oriented and most generally IB Diploma.
Moreover, some international schools offer the US-based High School Diploma/Advanced Placement (AP). Additionally, they provide the UK-basedInternational General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE), and incidentally Abitur.
One amongst the typical blend is IGCSE followed with IB Diploma. Many international schools get directed and controlled through foreign education frameworks. For instance, the Japanese school in Hamburg and the French school in Munich, Lycée Jean Renoir.
The International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB)
- About 4800 schools of over 143 different nations offer IB Diploma education program. It is for students between the ages of 16 and 19 years.
- The IB Diploma education program has international recognition. This recognition makes it suitable for the children of expats in Germany.
- However, the education program makes it compulsory for students to take training in six different subjects in two years.
- IB Diploma also requires the students to take up an extra philosophy course or the Theory of Knowledge. Besides, it also includes writing an extensive essay of 4000 words. It makes a great contribution to the Creativity, Activities, and Services (CAS) program of IB Diploma.
The International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) plus GCE A Levels
- IGCSE is a qualification that many examination boards administer such as Cambridge or Edexcel of London. However, this diploma course is equal to the school years of 10th and 11th grade of any school.
- IGCSE makes it compulsory for the students to learn and give exams in many subjects. In this case, it includes English, mathematics, humanities, and sciences.
Advanced Placement courses and High School Diploma
- Some of the international schools of Germany offer education programs based in the US. Accordingly, they award the students with High School Diploma.
- The education program of such schools includes preparing for the SAT examinations of college boards. Additionally, the students can opt for the university entrance examination from among the Advanced Placement classes.
List of international schools present in Germany
Here is a list of the top international schools of Germany. Do not forget to check every detail of the school before enrolling your precious child into it. Your child deserves the best, so make sure that he does not get any less.
1. Bavarian International School
- Established in 1990, the Bavarian International School is an approved IB World School. It is dedicated to challenging and advanced quality international studies for the students. The school takes students from the elementary level to the twelfth grade. Besides, it is one of the best international bilingual schools in Munich.
- If there is one best highlight, then that is the ease of transportation from home to school. You do not want your child to face daily traffic jam and delays in reaching school and back. Bavarian International School understands this and is at a suitable location with easy transportation options.
- Likewise, it has simple road links so that your child will reach school in time with no trouble at all.
- The bright and airy classrooms consist of state-of-the-art technology like iPads and interactive whiteboards. Also, the students can use the laptops provided by the library and classes to aid their learning. How incredible is that!
- The new campus of Bavarian International School has a learning space for English and German. Likewise, they have another for music practice, a large cafeteria, and a multi-purpose, two-story sports auditorium.
- The Department of Visual And Performing Arts at Bavarian International School gives the students with a variety of creative opportunities. It is in music, visual arts, drama within the extracurricular and academic levels.
- Sport is an important part of the school syllabus. The students of Bavarian International School get a broad range of sports facilities during and after the physical education session. Moreover, they receive qualified and professional instructions.
- They take children in their Early Childhood 0 classes only after their third birthday. You can find out more about the admission criteria and rules on their website- https://www.bis-school.com/admissions/application
2. Berlin Brandenburg International School
- Berlin Brandenburg International School is one of the best co-ed English schools in Germany with day schooling and boarding facilities. The school focuses on the internationally-oriented community of Berlin and the parts beyond.
- Situated in Kleinmachnow, Berlin Brandenburg International School is a little far from the traffic areas. The IB World School approves it to give instructions according to all the four IB education programs.
- Berlin Brandenburg International School gives cutting edge facilities which include a vast sports field. Furthermore, it has artificial turf and six lanes of running track, and a multi-purpose sports auditorium.
- The extra-curricular program of the school is extensive and excellent. Eventually, it gets dedicated to the all-round development of students of all ages.
- The boarding school of Berlin Brandenburg International School is on the school campus. The school provides accommodation facility for eighty international students between the ninth and twelfth grade. Berlin Brandenburg International School is the first German international school of IB program and all-English medium.
- For admissions in BBIS, the parents need to fill the admission form. They get tested for Mathematics, English, andGerman and get screened by their language proficiency and age. They are then granted admission by the result.
- You can know more about the admission process and probationary admission on their website- https://www.bbis.de/admissions/application-process
3. Berlin British School
Do you want a loving and caring community for your child? Do you want your child to develop a strong and confident personality? Are you even dreaming of customised academic support for your child? Then Berlin British School is what you need for your child.
- The Berlin British School (BBS) is an independent day school. It has the best of British, German, and international education to students between 2 and 18 years.
- The Berlin British School believes in the element of instructions with the help of education development. They do it with interactive and exciting methods and regular pastoral program. Accordingly, it is for getting the students ready for achievements in the field of study.
- The group of scholars at Berlin British School has students from many nations. Likewise, it offers the students a chance to explore important issues from many points of view.
- For admissions in Berlin British School, you need to give the school reports for the last two years of education. Also, the school runs a free three-day visit program.
- Under this, the parents and the children can visit the school for three The assessment is carried out formally and informally followed by an enrolment meeting. The assessment results and admissions get decided in this meeting.
- You can find in detail about the admission process on their website- https://berlinbritishschool.de/#
Berlin British School offers:
- Average class sizes with flexible study support and varied activities
- They follow request-based learning and teaching process
- Global qualifications, for example, IB Diploma and IGCSE. It gives the graduates access to the best colleges and universities of the world
- Good level of pastoral thoughts with a focus on building confidence and personality development in students
- BBS is an IB World School and an accredited member of the CIS
4. Frankfurt International School
- Frankfurt International School is one of the best international schools in Frankfurt Germany. It is one of the most prominent international schools in Europe in the first place. It has thousands of students from more than eighty different nations.
- Frankfurt International School focuses on the overall development of the child. The school gives a balanced educational program with strong academics, games, performing and visual art programs. Furthermore, it is along with a lot of scope of extra-curricular exercises, clubs, and administration ventures.
- The school runs an advanced IT support network and furthermore works with a stock of gadgets. It is for elementary and grade school students. The high school students of Frankfurt International School benefit by a powerful and interactive one-to-one laptop learning program.
- The excellent facilities of the school incorporate three outdoor athletic fields, and separate buildings. It also includes a Centre for Design – Technology, Science, and Performing Arts. The newly-opened Stroth Centre for Learning and Athletics has expanded the grounds.
- Further plus points of the school are its basic responsibility that it focuses on. It is for the family as a primary piece of the school network and its remarkable authority. The last has received two instructive global honours. TheHead of School and the Wiesbaden due to its nature in the present school year.
- For admissions, the school requests the parents to start applying six months before the new session. It is due to the limited availability of seats as compared to the received applications. However, this does not guarantee admission in any case.
- To know more about the admission process and timelines, go to their website- https://www.fis.edu/page.cfm?p=1023
5. International School Frankfurt Rhein-Main
- The International School Frankfurt got established in 1995 by the government of Frankfurt. It gives the best education in the world to students from the elementary school to the twelfth grade. Moreover, the school has a smooth school bus service for students.
- The school campus has many features that include theatre, tennis courts, indoor swimming pool, running tracks, and artificial sports field. It also includes interactive whiteboards, modern art, and music facilities, fantastic computing rooms, and well-equipped science laboratories.
- Above all, the International School Frankfurt prepares the students for many examinations. It includes the InternationalGeneral Certificate of Education, High School Diploma, US Advanced Placement, and International Baccalaureate Diploma.
- The school does not rely on the previous academic achievements of the students for admissions. Moreover, they believe in the present progress and hence take in students with average and above capabilities.
- For more information, visit their website- https://www.isf.sabis.net/
6. Munich International School
- Munich International School creates, challenges, and trains its students to get academic excellence. From here, they become lifelong learners, innovative and creative thinkers, ethical, healthy, and well-balanced individuals. Besides, they learn to grow and bear a significant impact on the active and ever-challenging world.
- The school has a staff of dedicated and well-experienced teachers and mentors. It is one of the best bilingual schools in Munich.
- It offers many facilities that include a centre for performing arts, new technology, and a design Furthermore, one-to-one laptop sessions, new makers’ laboratories, eight running tracks and field of the Olympic size is also a part.
- The school has a triple-story gymnasium with attached fitness and dance studios and a new complex of modern languages. Above all, it has two libraries and separate outdoor play spaces for kids.
- They follow a standard admission procedure, and after submitting the documents, a test happens. On its basis, the admissions get decided. Along with the accepted students, a waiting list is also out.
- To know more about it refer to their website- https://www.mis-munich.de/
7. International School of Hamburg
- The International School of Hamburg has accreditation and authorisation by the Council of International Schools.
- The school gives three frameworks of the curriculum- International Primary Curriculum for ages 3-10 years, Middle Years Programme (2) for ages 11-16 years of the IB program, and the Diploma Programme (3) for ages 17-19 years.
- It focuses on making an overall academic experience. The school understands that a variety of ways can assess the understanding and knowledge of a child. It gets not only limited to regular assignments and tests. It includes group work, oral presentation, athletic and artistic expression, and using proper technique for learning.
- The International School of Hamburg follows similar admission procedures too as like others. However, they take interviews for the students seeking admission in their IB programme or Grade 11.
- Check out their website to know more about the school and its admission process- https://www.ishamburg.org/
8. Metropolitan School Frankfurt
- Metropolitan School Frankfurt is in the heart of Frankfurt. It offers the IB Primary Year Programme to students from pre-Kindergarten to the fifth grade.
- Metropolitan School Frankfurt has a 360-degree learning approach and student-centric education. It gives a fair and in-depth educational program. However, language teaching is English.
- The students with less knowledge of English can also follow the classes well and quick. They can do it by learning English at the Additional Language Program (EAL).
- Moreover, German is as a native language or a foreign language in the school. Other current languages, for example, Spanish and French get taught from the sixth grade.
- The school facilities include science research centres, rooms for art and music and an IT laboratory. It also comprises a dining hall and a new cafeteria, and a big games auditorium.
- It also has a food innovation kitchen, nurses’ and matrons’ station and an excellent multi-media library. Additionally, big classrooms have state-of-the-art interactive whiteboards and fast WLAN internet access.
- The students can pick out from many extra-curricular exercises. For example, they can choose from basketball, football, badminton, tennis, music, yoga, art, dance, and poetry. The instrumental program at school has individual classes in clarinet, violin, and piano. Additional Care programs take place before and after the usual school hours.
- Metropolitan School Frankfurt is an IB World School. It is a member of the Councilof International Schools (CIS) and the Associationof German International Schools (AGIS).
- For admissions, parents must look for the grades matching to their child’s age. It is because the session starts in August and hence the age gets considered with 1st of August. However, the school gives a facility of flexible grade promotions.
- To know more visit their website- https://www.m-school.de/
On the whole, it is important to explore the extensive network of German international schools. It helps you to enrol your child in the school that gives the best academic care and facilities.
You can read more about the German School System here.
- Work Culture in Germany - 23rd September 2020
- Tips for a Productive Student Visa Interview - 23rd September 2020
- 5 Interesting aspects of German Life you didn’t know - 17th September 2020