10 best universities in Germany
How would you feel if your favourite professor in college is a proud winner of the Nobel Prize? Does academic excellence make you go giddy with excitement and awe? Do you want to be the alumnus of a college that is star-studded with Nobel laureates, winners, and achievers? If you nurture the secret ambition to be in their shoes some day, then Germany is the most iconic study destination for you. Quench your intellectual thirst with relentless and unwavering perseverance at the top ten best universities in Germany.
Top 10 most iconic study destinations of universities in Germany
Read on to learn more about the finest universities of Germany. In addition to very good research programs, every university ranks within the top hundred universities in the world. They welcome international students from all over the world and are great for children of expats. As a rule, you need to be a star student, to be a part of the rich educational programs. Check out the top ten universities of Germany right now.
1. Ludwig-Maximilian University of Munich (LMU)
LMU of Munich secures a constant position in the list of top 100 universities of the world. It is ranked at 32 in the world and 1st in Germany by the Time Higher Education Ranking of 2019. Hence, it is the hot-seat of the rich German culture.
Check out their official website right now- https://www.en.uni-muenchen.de/index.html
- The research centres and institutes of LMU are located throughout Munich.
- The main building of the university is in Geschwister-Scholl-Platz. The main campus is connected with the station Munich U-Bahn Universitat. As a result, it is very convenient to reach the university in time.
- LMU of Munich offers over hundred different courses with many combinations of minors and majors.
- The university offer a huge number of post-graduate and graduate courses in English for the international students. Therefore, LMU is good for students who come from abroad.
- Some of the subject areas that are available in English include physics, psychology, management, and business.
- Besides 18 different faculties, the University maintains many research centres of several trans-disciplinary and cross-faculty projects.
- A few of the research centres of the University of Munuch include:
- Center for Integrated Protein Science Munich
- Rachel Carson Center for Environment and Society
- Parmenides Center for the Study of Thinking
- Nanosystems Initiative Munich
- Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen.
Notable faculty and alumni members
- The alumni members of the University of Munich contributed richly to the development of quantum physics and mechanics. To begin with, a notable alumnus of the University is Max Planck, the founder of quantum theory.
- Also, the founders of quantum physics like Wolfgang Pauli and Werner Heisenberg are the alumni members of this University.
- The honourable Nobel Laureate Gerhard Ertl was a faculty member and professor of Physical Chemistry at the University of Munich.
2. Technical University of Munich (TUM)
As one of the foremost universities of Europe, TUM takes pride in its enterprising spirit. It is famous for the computer science and agricultural science educational programs. Likewise, TUM is ranked 2nd in Germany and 41st in the world.
Besides, Munich is one of the loveliest tourist destinations in Germany. Some of the most beautiful places to visit in Germanyare in Munich, which include the Olympia Park, Marienplatz, etc. Make the best of the university holidays and vacations with sight-seeing tours across Munich.
- The academic faculties of TUM are divided among the three different campuses in Munich.
- The chief campus is in Central Munich. It plays home to the faculties of electrical engineering, architecture, information technology, surveying, civil engineering, economics, medicine, and more.
- The second campus is in Garching. This campus houses the faculties of physics, mathematics, chemistry, informatics, mechanical engineering, and the famous Garching research reactor.
- The third campus is in Weihenstephan of Munich. This campus is home to the faculties of agricultural science, biology, horticulture, resource management, forestry, and more.
- TUM is highly focused upon research. This is evident from the high DFG Funding Rankings and research rankings of Center for Higher Education Development.
- Besides, the university hosts more than 600 new collaborations for research every year.
- The most significant research centres of TUM include the following.
- Research Neutron Source “Heinz Maier-Leibnitz”
- TUM Institute for Advanced Study
- Walter Schottky Institute for Semiconductor Research
- TUM Institute for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- Leonardo da Vinci-Zentrum für Bionik
- Straubing Center of Science
- Catalysis Research Center
- Corporate Research Center of Food and Nutrition Science (ZIEL), and more.
Lastly, being a research university, TUM provides many scholarship opportunities to students. Some of these scholarship programs include the following.
- The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- Bayrische Amerika-Akademie
- Bayerisch-Französisches Hochschulzentrum
- Alfred Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach Stiftung, and more.
3. Heidelberg University
Heidelberg University is one of the oldest academic institutions in the world. The university ranks 3rd in Germany and 47thin the world. Above all, it boasts of a vast population of foreign students.
- The facilities of Heidelberg University are separated into the following parts-
- The Old Town Campus houses the institutes and faculties of social sciences and humanities.
- The New Campus consists of the medical school, science faculties, and three huge university hospitals. The institutes of the New Campus include the two Max-Planck Institutes and the German Cancer Research Center.
- The Bergheim Campus of the university plays home to the institutes and departments of political science, economics, and sociology.
- The scientific accomplishments of the researchers of Heidelberg University include the following.
- Invention of Bunsen burner and spectroscopy
- Discovery of elements of the periodic table such as Rubidium and Caesium.
- Modern and scientific psychopharmacology, psychiatry, and psychiatric genetics.
- Modern sociology and environmental physics, and more.
- Identification of the absolute mark of ebullition, and more.
Notable faculty and alumni members
- The faculty and alumni members include globally acclaimed jurisprudents, poets, philosophers, social and natural scientists, and theologians.
- Also, the celebrated personalities include more than 18 Leibnitz Laureates, 27 Nobel Laureates, and 2 Oscar winners.
- Besides, several Prime Ministers and Federal Ministers of Germany are the alumni members of the University.
- The alumni of the department of arts include the classical music composer Schumann, writers Hoffman, Keller, philosophers Edmund Montgomery and Ludwig Feuerbach and more.
4. Humboldt University of Berlin
The university of the influential thinkers and philosophers Friedrich Engels and Karl Marx, is a part of the University of Excellence List of 2012. Furthermore, Humboldt University of Berlin is ranked at 4thin Germany and 57thin the world. It boasts of remarkable educational programs in the fields of arts and humanities.
- Humboldt University is divided into three main campuses which consist of the Campus Adlershof, Campus Nord, and Campus Mitte.
- The main building of the university is at the heart of Berlin, at the centre of Campus Mitte. The main building plays home to the humanities department along with the departments of law, business, and economics.
- To the north of the main building is the Campus Nord, located near the Berlin Hauptbahnhof. Campus Nord houses Charite, the medical centre of the university.
- The departments of mathematics and computer science are at Campus Adlershof, in the south-eastern part of Berlin.
The university is divided into the following departments, headed by stalwart faculty members.
- Natural sciences and mathematics
- Life sciences
- Humanities and social sciences, and many more.
Notable faculty and alumni members
- Humboldt University is home to famous academic personalities.
- Particularly associated with the Humboldt University, are 55 Nobel Prize winners that include Vant Hoff, Behring, Fischer, and more.
5. RWTH Aachen University
Founded in 1870, RWTH University takes pride in a large population of students, most of whom are international students. Besides, It is ranked at 79thin the world and at the 5th place in Germany. RWTH University is dedicated to the promotion of teaching, academics, and research methods.
- The campus of RWTH University is situated in north-west Aachen.
- The Main Building, Karman Hall, Super C students’ centre are within the vicinity of the city centre. So are Aachen Cathedral, the main refectory, and Audimax, the lecture hall.
In the first place, RWTH University provides full support to the following associations.
- AISA- Association of Indian Students in Aachen
- AstA- Students’ Union
- GATS- Association of Thain Students in Aachen
- MexAS- Mexican Students’ Association
- Pakistan Student Association, and more.
Notable alumni and faculty members
- Several famed personalities, including Nobel laureates and winners in chemistry and physics, are a part of the Aachen University.
- To summarise, the alumni of the university play a significant role in electrical, medicine, chemistry, and mechanical engineering. Peter Debye of the Debye Relaxation and Debye Model, is an alumnus of RWTH University.
6. University of Freiburg
University of Freiburg takes pride in a long tradition of education. The faculty list of the University of Freiburg comprises of Max Weber, Wim Wenders, and Konrad Adenauer. Above all, The Times Higher Education Ranking made the University of Freiburg 82nd in the world and 6thin Germany.
- The University of Freiburg is divided into three main campuses that are intricately present in the city. The three campuses include the university centre near the historical city centre, the engineering campus, and the institutes quarter. The rest of the buildings of the university are all over the city of Freiburg.
- The historical centre of the University of Freiburg houses the University Library. Also, it is one of the most enormous libraries of Germany.
- The institute quarter consists of the science departments- the chemistry building, the physics buildings,Macromolecular Chemistry Institute, and medicine.
- The engineering campus is situated close to the Fereiburg airfield, near the Medical Center of the University. This campus houses the departments of micro-systems engineering and computer science.
Notable professors and alumni members
- The most famous alumni members of the world are a part of the University of Freiburg.
- For example, significant personalities associated with the University of Freiburg are Husserl, Heidegger, Krebs, and more.
7. Free University of Berlin
Free University ranks 88thin the world and 7thin Germany by the Times Higher Education Ranking of 2018. Furthermore, the university has seven global liaison offices in Brussels, Beijing, Moscow, Cairo, New York, New Delhi, and Sao Paulo.
- A majority of the facilities of Free University are situated in Dahlem to the south-west of Berlin. The campuses of the university consist of the following main divisions.
- Campus Dahlem
- Geocampus Lankwitz
- Campus Duppel, and
- Campus Benjamin Franklin
- Free University is one of the hottest destinations of education, culture, and research. In brief, the research centres provide excellent facilities and academic opportunities.
- Some of the research centres include The Max Planck Institute for Research in Education (MPIB), Fritz Haber Institute, and more.
- To summarise, the campus plays home to
- -Federal Institute for Risk Assessment
- Besides the research centres, the Free University houses the following institutions of central services.
- Center for Academic Advising, Career and Counselling Services
- Center for Continuing Studies
- Center for the Promotion of Woman’s and Gender Studies
- Center for Recreational Sports
- Academic library, and
- Language Center
There are three interdisciplinary central institutes which include
- Institute for Latin American Studies
- Institute for Eastern European Studies
- John F. Kennedy Institute for North American Studies
Free University preserves an extensive range of international partnerships with the topmost universities of the world. Some of the universities across the globe with whom Free University has well-founded partnerships include.
- University of California of Berkeley, Santa Cruz, Los Angeles.
- Cornell University
- University of Chicago
- Stanford University
- Princeton University
- Duke University
- Yale University, and more.
Notable alumni and faculty members
The alumni of the university include several philosophers, scientists. There are 15 Leibnitz laureates and 5 Nobel Prize winners.
8. Technical University of Berlin
The Technical University of Berlin consists of good educational programs. Consequently, Technical University ranks 92nd in the world and 8thin Germany. Technical University is an iconic study destination in Germany.
- The Technical University covers about 604,000 m². The chief campus of the university is situated in Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf. More than 33000 students are admitted to the ninety different faculties of the university.
- El Gouna: The Technical University has set up a satellite pavilion in Egypt to act as an academic and scientific field office.
- Furthermore, the college has an establishment of its Global Production Engineering curriculum. It is known as Global Production Engineering and Management.
There are eight faculties in the technical University of Berlin that are further sub-divided into different institutes. These faculties include
- Arts and humanities
- Engineering and process sciences
- Computer science and electrical engineering
- Transport systems and mechanical engineering
- Environment, planning, and building
- Management and economics
- Zentralinstitut of El Gouna
Notable professors and alumni
Renowned academic personalities form the alma mater of the university. For example, Bruni Ahrends, Carl Bosch, Fritz Houtermans, and more are a part of the university.
9. University of Tubingen
The University of Tübingen is especially known for its faculties of religious philosophy and religion. However, Its most striking alumni is Johannes Kepler, the famous astronomer. The neuropathologist Alois Alzheimer is a part of the alumni as well.
The University of Tubingen is spread across the town. The five towns that house the major buildings of the University include Tubingen, Heidelberg, Freiburg, Gottingen, and Marburg.
The seven different faculties of the university include.
- Catholic theology
- Protestant theology
- social sciences and economics
Notable alumni and faculty members
The faculty and alumni members include William Ramsay, Eduard Buchner, Hans Bethe, Georg Wittig, and more.
10. University of Bonn
The University of Bonn was founded during the Age of Enlightenment in Europe. The strongest faculties of the university include mathematics, astronomy, physics, economics, philosophy, and bioscience. Therefore, the University of Bonn ranks 100thin the world and 10thin Germany.
- The science divisions and the primary science library are situated in Poppelsdorf and Endenich. The Poppelsdorf Palace houses the college’s mineral accumulation and a few science divisions.
- The institute of medicine is situated on the Venusberg, a slope on the western edge of Bonn.
The most significant research institutes of the University of Bonn include the following.
- Franz-Joseph Dolger Institute
- Research Institute for Discrete Mathematics
- Bethe Center for Theoretical Physics
- German Reference Center for Ethics in the Life Sciences
- Center for European Integration Studies
- Center for Development Research, and
- Center of Advanced European Studies and Research
Apply at the Consulate of Germany or the Embassy for a Germany student VISA to enter and stay in Germany. In the mean time, you can look for options of jobs in Germany for foreigners and students. You can obtain a Germany work permit or Germany work VISA to find job in Germany.Secure a job and work at it on a part-time basis for a little extra-earning.
The minimum wage in Germany per houris about 8.5 euros on an average. As a rule, this is enough to provide for a college student in Germany. The minimum salary in Germany is about 1500 euros per month. For the most part, this is handsome enough for a newly recruited student from the university.
Learning the German language has its own advantages and can surely help you in establishing yourself well to the education system. Find more details here.
International students need to have blocked accounts and also take health insurance. Here is the link to one of the best services for students, which is highly recommended from other students.
- Work Culture in Germany - 23rd September 2020
- Tips for a Productive Student Visa Interview - 23rd September 2020
- 5 Interesting aspects of German Life you didn’t know - 17th September 2020